Search this Site
Custom Search
Drop Down Menu Drop Down Menu
Drop Down Menu



Starting Out
Hire / Rent Before Buying
Touring Caravans
Pop-Top Caravans / Campers
Full Height Caravans
Off-Road / ATV Caravans
Single Axle vs Tandem Axle
RV Types
What is an RV ?

Motorhomes - General Info
Motorhomes - Water Heaters etc
Campervans - General Info
Slide On Campers - General Info
5th Wheeler - General Info
5th Wheeler - Hitches
5th Wheeler - Stability
Camper Trailer - Intro
Camper Trailer - Types
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Tow Vehicle
Best Tow Vehicle

Bull Bars
Cargo Barriers
Dual Battery System
Roller Drawer Storage Systems
Side Steps/Bars/Wheel Carriers
Snorkels/Water Bras/Diff Breathers
Storage Systems for your Gear
Suspension Upgrade
Towing Tips - Towing Courses

Compliance Plates
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Hitches and Couplings
Electric Brakes and Controllers
Hitches/Weight Distribution Bars
Hitches and Hitch Receivers
Reversing Made Easy
Sway Control Devices
Tow Bars and Tow Balls
Towing Mirrors
Tyre & Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Replacing Padded Stoneguards
Toilets - Treatment / Maintenance
Understanding Tyre Markings
Outdoor Camp Cooking

Preparing a Campfire for Cooking
Camp Ovens
Camp Oven Recipes
How to Rid Your RV of Ants
Roof Top Tents
Roof Top Tents for Utes/Wagons
Terms and Lingo

CB & UHF Communication
Handheld Portable UHF / CB
HF Radio
Public Phones & Phone Cards
Wireless Internet
Mobile Phone Coverage
Satellite Phones
Distress Beacons and EPIRBS
RV Extras
Heating - General
Heating - Electric
Diesel and Gas Heaters
Hoses - Drinking & Sullage
Water Tanks and 12V Pumps
Hot Water Heaters
Changing the Sacrificial Anode
Portable Toilet Systems
Portable Toilet Cleaning
Portable Toilet Chemicals
Portable Toilets
Sanitation Products / Chemicals
Refrigeration - General Info
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Power Options
Powering RV's and Power Usage

Power Sources for RV's
Charging Batteries
Solar Power
Portable Solar
Annexe Flooring / Matting

Awning Maintenance
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Electrical Extension Cords
Jockey Wheels and Power Movers
Caravan and Trailer Jacks
Folding/Electric/Motorised Bikes
Bicycle Racks & Carriers

Bicycle Accessories
Navigational Software
Devices (GPS, PDA's etc.)
Maps (Toppo's, Legends etc.)
Doing the Washing On The Road

Portable Electric Washing Machines
Camping Clotheslines
Recreational Fishing / Licences
On The Road
Ambulance Cover

Reversing made Easy
Caravan / RV Fire Safety

Carrying Extra Fuel
Cooking Outdoors (Gas/BBQ's)
Free Camping
House Sitting and House Sitters
Heavy Vehicle / RV Courtesy
Holidaying with Kids
Mail Redirection
Travelling with Dogs
Best Tow Vehicle
Vehicle Suspension Upgrade
Insects - Personal Protection
Insects - In and Around the RV
RV / Caravan Parks

Farm Stays / Bush Resorts
Rest Stops / Rest Areas
Free Camping
Preventing Theft of RV's

Security Devices
Security Alarms
What Insurance to Look For
Vehicle, Caravan/Trailer/RV Ins/
Caravan Rollover

Site Map

Ambulance Cover - Travelling Interstate


A first point of interest is that Medicare does not cover the provision of ambulance services and whether you may have to pay for ambulance service depends in which state you reside.  Also, depending on the ambulance policy of your state or territory, residents may need to take out cover with their health fund or ambulance provider for services within their resident state.  If you hold a Pensioner’s Concession Card check if you are exempt from payment of the ambulance levy or if there is a discount available. For example, Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card Holders are covered for state ambulance services in every state by the Department.

Another point to be mindful of is the definition of or the distinction between ‘emergency’ and ‘non-emergency’ ambulance transport.  When travelling interstate ‘non-emergency transport’ refers to pre-booked services such as transfer of the patient from one hospital to another.  Some private health funds may levy a co-payment for things such as ‘non-emergency’ transport.


It may be that the ambulance cover will cover you for transport to the nearest hospital where the required treatment is available, but not back to your state of residence unless a doctor certifies this is necessary.  In such cases, health insurance/ambulance cover may be required if you want to cover all possible eventualities.

It can all be confusing, as your private health fund may cover you for ‘emergency’ transport within your state but not in another state.  Also, ‘non-emergency’ transport may not be covered when you travel interstate.

Individuals with ambulance cover do not need to pay the costs of emergency ambulance services if they need to be transported to a hospital or if they need to be treated at the scene during an emergency and later transported to a hospital.

These emergency transportation situations cover incidents such as heart attacks or strokes, but not transfers between hospitals or transportation for routine medical treatment as an admitted patient.

Prior to travelling interstate it is best to check that the state or territory you are to travel to has reciprocal arrangements for ambulance cover with your home state or territory.   It may be necessary to take out ambulance cover through a private health fund.  Make sure you get written confirmation of the cover and check whether there is any maximum limit to the ambulance cover provided by the health fund.

International visitors should take out health insurance.  Where overseas visitors current travel insurance does not have adequate medical cover there are some approved health funds in Australia, such as MBF or Bupa who provide Overseas Visitors’ Cover which includes emergency ambulance cover.


Am I covered for ambulance service when I travel interstate ?

State/Territory Residents and Ambulance Cover

Ambulance schemes can vary depending on the state or territory of residence.

NSW and ACT - In NSW and the ACT, individuals are fully covered for ambulance services if they contribute to a Hospital cover. Those who have only extras cover ie, without hospital cover, may have limited cover for emergency transportation. In the ACT, Health Care Concession Card (HCC) and Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) holders are entitled to free emergency ambulance services and in NSW, HCC, PCC and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are entitled to free ambulance transport services.

TAS - Tasmanian residents do not need to pay for ambulance cover, as Ambulance Tasmania offers a free service to the state’s residents. Exceptions may apply in motor vehicle or workplace accidents where the insurance policies of those involved cover the costs.

QLD - Prior to 1 July 2011, Queenslanders paid the Community Ambulance Cover Levy, which was added to electricity bills. From 1 July 2011, every Queensland resident has access to free ambulance cover, and this applies even if they are temporarily outside their home state.

VIC, SA, NT & WA - Residents of these regions can obtain emergency ambulance coverage under Hospital and/or Extras cover. In VIC, Pensioner Concession Card and Healthcare Card holders are entitled to free ambulance transport services. In WA, aged pensioners are entitled to free ambulance services for all emergency ambulance services and non-urgent ambulance services that are deemed to be medically necessary.  All other senior citizens over the age of 65 pay only 50% of the normal cost of both emergency and urgent ambulance transport.

Disclaimer:  As terms and conditions may change in the states or territories, you should make your own enquiry with your ambulance provider or private health fund to satisfy yourself that you and your family are covered whilst travelling nationwide.

Check also whether you are covered for air (aero medical) ambulance in the case of an ‘emergency’ and even for  ‘non-emergency’ as there may be a difference between being covered for ambulance transport by road or by air.

Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS)

The RFDS is a not-for-profit service that provides aero medical and health care services to people who travel, live and work in remote and regional Australia.

Their website provides excellent information on trip preparation, snake bites and what to do in an emergency.  They recommend that travellers and 4WD tourists to remote areas investigate obtaining and using a HF Radio. See article on HF RadiosContact numbers and radio frequencies are available on their website.  Donations are welcomed.

Other Tips

·          Make sure your take an adequate First Aid kit

·          Complete a first aid and/or CPR course

·          Obtain and maintain a fire extinguisher

·          Keep a list of emergency numbers

·          Make sure you have a device such as an PLB, HF radio, mobile telephone or satellite telephone to be able to make contact in an emergency.






Disclaimer   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   Site Map/Index   |   Links

This site was last updated

Copyright ©  Let's All rights reserved.