Search this Site
Custom Search
Drop Down Menu Drop Down Menu
Drop Down Menu



Starting Out
Hire / Rent Before Buying
Touring Caravans
Pop-Top Caravans / Campers
Full Height Caravans
Off-Road / ATV Caravans
Single Axle vs Tandem Axle
RV Types
What is an RV ?

Motorhomes - General Info
Motorhomes - Water Heaters etc
Campervans - General Info
Slide On Campers - General Info
5th Wheeler - General Info
5th Wheeler - Hitches
5th Wheeler - Stability
Camper Trailer - Intro
Camper Trailer - Types
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Tow Vehicle
Best Tow Vehicle

Bull Bars
Cargo Barriers
Dual Battery System
Roller Drawer Storage Systems
Side Steps/Bars/Wheel Carriers
Snorkels/Water Bras/Diff Breathers
Storage Systems for your Gear
Suspension Upgrade
Towing Tips - Towing Courses

Compliance Plates
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Hitches and Couplings
Electric Brakes and Controllers
Hitches/Weight Distribution Bars
Hitches and Hitch Receivers
Reversing Made Easy
Sway Control Devices
Tow Bars and Tow Balls
Towing Mirrors
Tyre & Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Replacing Padded Stoneguards
Toilets - Treatment / Maintenance
Understanding Tyre Markings
Outdoor Camp Cooking

Preparing a Campfire for Cooking
Camp Ovens
Camp Oven Recipes
How to Rid Your RV of Ants
Roof Top Tents
Roof Top Tents for Utes/Wagons
Terms and Lingo

CB & UHF Communication
Handheld Portable UHF / CB
HF Radio
Public Phones & Phone Cards
Wireless Internet
Mobile Phone Coverage
Satellite Phones
Distress Beacons and EPIRBS
RV Extras
Heating - General
Heating - Electric
Diesel and Gas Heaters
Hoses - Drinking & Sullage
Water Tanks and 12V Pumps
Hot Water Heaters
Changing the Sacrificial Anode
Portable Toilet Systems
Portable Toilet Cleaning
Portable Toilet Chemicals
Portable Toilets
Sanitation Products / Chemicals
Refrigeration - General Info
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Power Options
Powering RV's and Power Usage

Power Sources for RV's
Charging Batteries
Solar Power
Portable Solar
Annexe Flooring / Matting

Awning Maintenance
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Electrical Extension Cords
Jockey Wheels and Power Movers
Caravan and Trailer Jacks
Folding/Electric/Motorised Bikes
Bicycle Racks & Carriers

Bicycle Accessories
Navigational Software
Devices (GPS, PDA's etc.)
Maps (Toppo's, Legends etc.)
Doing the Washing On The Road

Portable Electric Washing Machines
Camping Clotheslines
Recreational Fishing / Licences
On The Road
Ambulance Cover

Reversing made Easy
Caravan / RV Fire Safety

Carrying Extra Fuel
Cooking Outdoors (Gas/BBQ's)
Free Camping
House Sitting and House Sitters
Heavy Vehicle / RV Courtesy
Holidaying with Kids
Mail Redirection
Travelling with Dogs
Best Tow Vehicle
Vehicle Suspension Upgrade
Insects - Personal Protection
Insects - In and Around the RV
RV / Caravan Parks

Farm Stays / Bush Resorts
Rest Stops / Rest Areas
Free Camping
Preventing Theft of RV's

Security Devices
Security Alarms
What Insurance to Look For
Vehicle, Caravan/Trailer/RV Ins/
Caravan Rollover

Site Map

Communication on the Road

Communication Tower


CB UHF & HF Communication

When considering the type of CB radio communication system you want it will be necessary to understand the terms or 'language' and capacity of some of the types of communication devices available.


MHz - refers to the radio frequency on which the equipment operates.

Simplex – UHF transceivers transmit and receive on the same channel.  To communicate through repeaters, your transceiver must be able to transmit and receive on different channels (known as duplex).

Duplex – allows transmission on a different frequency to that which it receives.


Repeaters – a repeater system consists of a linked transmitter/receiver combination installed in a prominent location.  The repeater is designed to receive signals on a designated channel and re-transmit them on another channel.  Repeaters are normally located on hills, mountains or tall buildings.
Channels 1-8 and 41-48 are designated repeater output stations and channels 31-38 and 71-78 are designated input channels.
These designated repeater channels can be used for single frequency communication provided they are not used in the locality of repeaters.

A repeater that transmits on channel 1 will always receive on channel 31. The CB radio automatically selected the corresponding transmit/receive frequencies.

Channels 5 and 35 are dedicated solely for emergency communications.

SSB –  single sideband comes in three modes AM, USB (upper side band) and LSB (lower side band).  The SSB is better for long distances and/or when signals are weak as power is directed to one sideband and the radiated power is increased.

Selcall – this stands for selective calling to selectively call a friend over the air.  It can be used on either UHF or HF CB radios. The transceiver is factory programmed with its own unique Selcall Identification Number (Ident).  This number identifies your radio from others in your area.  So you need to make your Ident known to anyone  who may need to call you with Selcall.   When your Ident number is called your transceiver will beep to alert you. Some CB radios come fitted with a selcall facility using (CTCSS) continuous tone coded squelch system that is only authorised on UHF CB bands.

Radphone – or ‘radio telephone’ is where a connection is made with the public telephone network from a base station you call over a suitably equipped HF radio.  A service fee and call costs apply. A selcall is made to the provider’s base station, then key in the telephone number on the radio interface and commence the call when answered.  Keep in mind that conversations are not private.

SKEDS - morning or evening scheduled times where you can check in over the HF radio air, have a chat and pass on messages

See also our page on CB and UHF Communication.





Disclaimer   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   Site Map/Index   |   Links

This site was last updated

Copyright ©  Let's All rights reserved.