Search this Site
Custom Search
Drop Down Menu Drop Down Menu
Drop Down Menu



Starting Out
Hire / Rent Before Buying
Touring Caravans
Pop-Top Caravans / Campers
Full Height Caravans
Off-Road / ATV Caravans
Single Axle vs Tandem Axle
RV Types
What is an RV ?

Motorhomes - General Info
Motorhomes - Water Heaters etc
Campervans - General Info
Slide On Campers - General Info
5th Wheeler - General Info
5th Wheeler - Hitches
5th Wheeler - Stability
Camper Trailer - Intro
Camper Trailer - Types
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Tow Vehicle
Best Tow Vehicle

Bull Bars
Cargo Barriers
Dual Battery System
Roller Drawer Storage Systems
Side Steps/Bars/Wheel Carriers
Snorkels/Water Bras/Diff Breathers
Storage Systems for your Gear
Suspension Upgrade
Towing Tips - Towing Courses

Compliance Plates
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Hitches and Couplings
Electric Brakes and Controllers
Hitches/Weight Distribution Bars
Hitches and Hitch Receivers
Reversing Made Easy
Sway Control Devices
Tow Bars and Tow Balls
Towing Mirrors
Tyre & Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Replacing Padded Stoneguards
Toilets - Treatment / Maintenance
Understanding Tyre Markings
Outdoor Camp Cooking

Preparing a Campfire for Cooking
Camp Ovens
Camp Oven Recipes
How to Rid Your RV of Ants
Roof Top Tents
Roof Top Tents for Utes/Wagons
Terms and Lingo

CB & UHF Communication
Handheld Portable UHF / CB
HF Radio
Public Phones & Phone Cards
Wireless Internet
Mobile Phone Coverage
Satellite Phones
Distress Beacons and EPIRBS
RV Extras
Heating - General
Heating - Electric
Diesel and Gas Heaters
Hoses - Drinking & Sullage
Water Tanks and 12V Pumps
Hot Water Heaters
Changing the Sacrificial Anode
Portable Toilet Systems
Portable Toilet Cleaning
Portable Toilet Chemicals
Portable Toilets
Sanitation Products / Chemicals
Refrigeration - General Info
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Power Options
Powering RV's and Power Usage

Power Sources for RV's
Charging Batteries
Solar Power
Portable Solar
Annexe Flooring / Matting

Awning Maintenance
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Electrical Extension Cords
Jockey Wheels and Power Movers
Caravan and Trailer Jacks
Folding/Electric/Motorised Bikes
Bicycle Racks & Carriers

Bicycle Accessories
Navigational Software
Devices (GPS, PDA's etc.)
Maps (Toppo's, Legends etc.)
Doing the Washing On The Road

Portable Electric Washing Machines
Camping Clotheslines
Recreational Fishing / Licences
On The Road
Ambulance Cover

Reversing made Easy
Caravan / RV Fire Safety

Carrying Extra Fuel
Cooking Outdoors (Gas/BBQ's)
Free Camping
House Sitting and House Sitters
Heavy Vehicle / RV Courtesy
Holidaying with Kids
Mail Redirection
Travelling with Dogs
Best Tow Vehicle
Vehicle Suspension Upgrade
Insects - Personal Protection
Insects - In and Around the RV
RV / Caravan Parks

Farm Stays / Bush Resorts
Rest Stops / Rest Areas
Free Camping
Preventing Theft of RV's

Security Devices
Security Alarms
What Insurance to Look For
Vehicle, Caravan/Trailer/RV Ins/
Caravan Rollover

Site Map

Caravan / Motorhome Signage

Do I need to attach "Do not overtake turning vehicle" signs to my caravan / motorhome.

Do not overtake turning vehicle sign

Do not overtake turning vehicle sign


If your motorhome or tow vehicle and caravan / campertrailer is 7.5m or longer and has a "DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE" sign on the back, you are allowed to turn left from (or partially from) the lane on the right of the far left lane.


If your motorhome or tow vehicle and caravan / campertrailer is under 7.5 m long, you must not display a “DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE” sign on the back, and you must turn within the lanes marked on the road at all times.

Intersection markings are generally too tight for large vehicles and you have to swing wide to make a left turn. Try to position your rig so that vehicles behind you cannot pass on your left and make sure you have the best view possible of the road you are turning into.

Right hand turns

If you are turning right from a one way street, your motorhome or tow vehicle and caravan / campertrailer is 7.5 m or longer and you have a “DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE” sign displayed on the back of the motorhome or tow vehicle and caravan / campertrailer, you can turn right from the lane on the immediate left of the far right lane.  When making a right turn, make sure you have reached far enough into the intersection before starting to turn into the street. If you turn too soon, the side of your rig may hit vehicles on your right as the back of your vehicle cuts-in to the turn.


Signs or Marking Plates

The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government (Standards Bulletin VSB 12 Rear Marking Plates) website states:-

‘Rear marking plates may also be fitted to light vehicles. However, in certain jurisdictions if the vehicle is less than 7.5 metres long, the plates must not have the words “DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE”.

Australian Standards AS 4001 – 2003 Motor Vehicles – Rear Marker Plates Parts 1 and 3 (Manufacturing requirements) and Part 2 (Fitting requirements) provides for plates made from Class 1, Class 1A and Class 2 retroreflective material.

Class 1 retroreflective material is more durable and because of its improved retroreflective performance, when compared to the older Class 2 plates, the plates can be smaller and yet reflect more light. Class 1A pressure sensitive plates have been developed so that these plates can be affixed directly to the vehicle without a metal backing plate. You may use either style provided that both plates on any one vehicle are of the same size and material. Plates complying with AS 4001 are available in either rectangular or strip configuration as illustrated in the Figures 1 and 2 respectively.

Class 1 plates are preferred because they outperform and outlast Class 2 plates.’

As requirements may vary from state or territory please check with your Road Transport Authority or Department of Transport for further details.




Disclaimer   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   Site Map/Index   |   Links

This site was last updated

Copyright ©  Let's All rights reserved.