Search this Site
Custom Search
Drop Down Menu Drop Down Menu
Drop Down Menu



Starting Out
Hire / Rent Before Buying
Touring Caravans
Pop-Top Caravans / Campers
Full Height Caravans
Off-Road / ATV Caravans
Single Axle vs Tandem Axle
RV Types
What is an RV ?

Motorhomes - General Info
Motorhomes - Water Heaters etc
Campervans - General Info
Slide On Campers - General Info
5th Wheeler - General Info
5th Wheeler - Hitches
5th Wheeler - Stability
Camper Trailer - Intro
Camper Trailer - Types
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Tow Vehicle
Best Tow Vehicle

Bull Bars
Cargo Barriers
Dual Battery System
Roller Drawer Storage Systems
Side Steps/Bars/Wheel Carriers
Snorkels/Water Bras/Diff Breathers
Storage Systems for your Gear
Suspension Upgrade
Towing Tips - Towing Courses

Compliance Plates
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Hitches and Couplings
Electric Brakes and Controllers
Hitches/Weight Distribution Bars
Hitches and Hitch Receivers
Reversing Made Easy
Sway Control Devices
Tow Bars and Tow Balls
Towing Mirrors
Tyre & Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Replacing Padded Stoneguards
Toilets - Treatment / Maintenance
Understanding Tyre Markings
Outdoor Camp Cooking

Preparing a Campfire for Cooking
Camp Ovens
Camp Oven Recipes
How to Rid Your RV of Ants
Roof Top Tents
Roof Top Tents for Utes/Wagons
Terms and Lingo

CB & UHF Communication
Handheld Portable UHF / CB
HF Radio
Public Phones & Phone Cards
Wireless Internet
Mobile Phone Coverage
Satellite Phones
Distress Beacons and EPIRBS
RV Extras
Heating - General
Heating - Electric
Diesel and Gas Heaters
Hoses - Drinking & Sullage
Water Tanks and 12V Pumps
Hot Water Heaters
Changing the Sacrificial Anode
Portable Toilet Systems
Portable Toilet Cleaning
Portable Toilet Chemicals
Portable Toilets
Sanitation Products / Chemicals
Refrigeration - General Info
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Power Options
Powering RV's and Power Usage

Power Sources for RV's
Charging Batteries
Solar Power
Portable Solar
Annexe Flooring / Matting

Awning Maintenance
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Electrical Extension Cords
Jockey Wheels and Power Movers
Caravan and Trailer Jacks
Folding/Electric/Motorised Bikes
Bicycle Racks & Carriers

Bicycle Accessories
Navigational Software
Devices (GPS, PDA's etc.)
Maps (Toppo's, Legends etc.)
Doing the Washing On The Road

Portable Electric Washing Machines
Camping Clotheslines
Recreational Fishing / Licences
On The Road
Ambulance Cover

Reversing made Easy
Caravan / RV Fire Safety

Carrying Extra Fuel
Cooking Outdoors (Gas/BBQ's)
Free Camping
House Sitting and House Sitters
Heavy Vehicle / RV Courtesy
Holidaying with Kids
Mail Redirection
Travelling with Dogs
Best Tow Vehicle
Vehicle Suspension Upgrade
Insects - Personal Protection
Insects - In and Around the RV
RV / Caravan Parks

Farm Stays / Bush Resorts
Rest Stops / Rest Areas
Free Camping
Preventing Theft of RV's

Security Devices
Security Alarms
What Insurance to Look For
Vehicle, Caravan/Trailer/RV Ins/
Caravan Rollover

Site Map

Rest Stops or Rest Areas

Rest Stops
Rest Stops



Rest Stops or Rest Areas

When planning your road trip it is a good idea to use rest stops or rest areas to break your journey and overcome driver fatigue.  A Google Search can provide you with a list of maps with Driver Reviver stops operating.  Driver Reviver stops provide tea, coffee and a biscuit as well as restroom facilities.

Although the rules can vary from state to state in Australia, rest stops and heavy vehicle areas are not to be used for free camping.  As a general rule, overnight camping is not permitted within a 50 klm radius of the nearest commercial camping ground/caravan park.  You can be fined for illegal use of rest areas or overstaying the time limits.

The rules for the length of the stay in a rest area vary depending on the controlling authority whether it be the Road Transport Authority or local council.  For example, in Queensland, the Queensland Government website states you can stay up to 20 hours, including overnight, at some Main Roads’ rest areas. 

A list of the rest areas including the GPS co-ordinates can be downloaded from their website.  Where a rest stay is permitted it will normally be signposted.  The Northern Territory Government website states ‘Road users may not stay at any one rest area for longer than 24 hours’.

Caravans and RV’ers should not use Heavy Vehicle Rest Areas or stopping places as these areas provide rest and safety for truck drivers.  For the purpose of the legislation caravans are not consider to be heavy vehicles.

Visitor Information Centres/Welcome Centres
Most towns and cities have visitor information centres or welcome centres to provide a host of local information.   Information is provided on places to stay, places to dine, recreational activities such as fishing, whale watching, kayaking plus local tourist attractions.  You can obtain tourist information brochures, local road maps, maps for walking trails as well as information for you to participate in guided walks or organised tours.  Local tourist information enables you to get the most out of your stay in an area.

Some visitor information or welcome centres have large car parks to enable you to park and temporarily leave your RV.  There is also a few information centres that provide taps for access to water as well as facilities (dump points) to enable you to dispose of chemical toilet waste.

Information Centre


Travelling Australia – for those touring Australia in a caravan, motorhome, campervan, trailer or 5th wheeler see here for details of maps and travel publications.

Some publications provide GPS co-ordinates and Google Earth can also be used to view an area in photographic form.


free hit counter

Disclaimer   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   Site Map/Index   |   Links

This site was last updated

Copyright ©  Let's All rights reserved.