Search this Site
Custom Search
Drop Down Menu Drop Down Menu
Drop Down Menu



Starting Out
Hire / Rent Before Buying
Touring Caravans
Pop-Top Caravans / Campers
Full Height Caravans
Off-Road / ATV Caravans
Single Axle vs Tandem Axle
RV Types
What is an RV ?

Motorhomes - General Info
Motorhomes - Water Heaters etc
Campervans - General Info
Slide On Campers - General Info
5th Wheeler - General Info
5th Wheeler - Hitches
5th Wheeler - Stability
Camper Trailer - Intro
Camper Trailer - Types
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Tow Vehicle
Best Tow Vehicle

Bull Bars
Cargo Barriers
Dual Battery System
Roller Drawer Storage Systems
Side Steps/Bars/Wheel Carriers
Snorkels/Water Bras/Diff Breathers
Storage Systems for your Gear
Suspension Upgrade
Towing Tips - Towing Courses

Compliance Plates
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Hitches and Couplings
Electric Brakes and Controllers
Hitches/Weight Distribution Bars
Hitches and Hitch Receivers
Reversing Made Easy
Sway Control Devices
Tow Bars and Tow Balls
Towing Mirrors
Tyre & Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Replacing Padded Stoneguards
Toilets - Treatment / Maintenance
Understanding Tyre Markings
Outdoor Camp Cooking

Preparing a Campfire for Cooking
Camp Ovens
Camp Oven Recipes
How to Rid Your RV of Ants
Roof Top Tents
Roof Top Tents for Utes/Wagons
Terms and Lingo

CB & UHF Communication
Handheld Portable UHF / CB
HF Radio
Public Phones & Phone Cards
Wireless Internet
Mobile Phone Coverage
Satellite Phones
Distress Beacons and EPIRBS
RV Extras
Heating - General
Heating - Electric
Diesel and Gas Heaters
Hoses - Drinking & Sullage
Water Tanks and 12V Pumps
Hot Water Heaters
Changing the Sacrificial Anode
Portable Toilet Systems
Portable Toilet Cleaning
Portable Toilet Chemicals
Portable Toilets
Sanitation Products / Chemicals
Refrigeration - General Info
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Power Options
Powering RV's and Power Usage

Power Sources for RV's
Charging Batteries
Solar Power
Portable Solar
Annexe Flooring / Matting

Awning Maintenance
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Electrical Extension Cords
Jockey Wheels and Power Movers
Caravan and Trailer Jacks
Folding/Electric/Motorised Bikes
Bicycle Racks & Carriers

Bicycle Accessories
Navigational Software
Devices (GPS, PDA's etc.)
Maps (Toppo's, Legends etc.)
Doing the Washing On The Road

Portable Electric Washing Machines
Camping Clotheslines
Recreational Fishing / Licences
On The Road
Ambulance Cover

Reversing made Easy
Caravan / RV Fire Safety

Carrying Extra Fuel
Cooking Outdoors (Gas/BBQ's)
Free Camping
House Sitting and House Sitters
Heavy Vehicle / RV Courtesy
Holidaying with Kids
Mail Redirection
Travelling with Dogs
Best Tow Vehicle
Vehicle Suspension Upgrade
Insects - Personal Protection
Insects - In and Around the RV
RV / Caravan Parks

Farm Stays / Bush Resorts
Rest Stops / Rest Areas
Free Camping
Preventing Theft of RV's

Security Devices
Security Alarms
What Insurance to Look For
Vehicle, Caravan/Trailer/RV Ins/
Caravan Rollover

Site Map

Caravan / RV Electrical Extension Cords

What type of electrical cord do you need for your caravan / rv.
What the legal requirements and what safety aspects do you need to consider.

15 amp Caravan Electrical Cord


For caravans, motorhomes, camper vans, 5th wheelers and camper trailers you will need a 15 amp, 3 pin plug electrical extension cord/lead.  These 15 amp cords are mostly a different colour (usually orange) than the 10 amp (usually grey) household electrical extension cords and can also be identified by a wider earth pin.

What is a 'Mushroom'?

The extension cord connects from the ‘mushroom’ as it was once known, or mains power supply box /pillar (female power inlet connection) at the caravan/trailer park to the external (male power outlet connection) plug on your RV.


Electrical Supply Cord Care and Maintenance

Care should always be taken when dealing with electricity and power cords and the power cords should be regularly inspected for any wear or fraying.  It is important to replace worn, damaged or frayed cords.

Your RV will most likely have an earth leakage circuit breaker.  To avoid electrical shock never modify lighting outlets, plugs or cords. All electrical work should be undertaken by a licensed electrician. 

15 amp electrical cords usually come in 10, 15 and 20 meter lengths.  The extension cord supply lead must be one continuous length and the cord should be fully unwound before use as a wound cord may overheat and catch fire. 

For safety reasons there are maximum lengths (including in line length combination of cords). 

Extension cord recommended lengths:-

Cord Extension
Set Rating (amp)
Area (mm)
Maximum Length
Flexible Cord (metre)
15 amp 1.5 mm 25
15 amp 2.5 mm 40

Some caravan parks or tourist parks have conditions of use or ‘park rules’ relating to the recommended maximum length of power cords to 15 metres.

To prevent overload, larger caravans and RV’s with air conditioners and 240V hot water systems running consistently would be best suited to use a shorter 15A ‘contractors’ heavy duty (heavier conductor area) electrical lead.  These electrical cords are normally blue in colour and your can pick them up at Bunnings or other tradesman type stores.

What Lengths of Extension Cord Do I Need to Carry?

In some caravan/trailer parks the power supply box can be some distance from your RV so it is recommended you carry different length cords for this purpose.  Obviously the shorter one for when your RV is closer to the power supply box and the longer one when it is further away. For easier convenient storage, purchase a reel on which to store your extension cord. Please note - The extension cord must not be connected to the supply while it is coiled up.

If you need to maintain a state of charge for your RV batteries whilst your motorhome or caravan is stored at home it is recommended you get an electrician to install a 15 amp power point at your residence.  The 15 amp power extension cords are not suitable for use for standard domestic power points as your residence is rated 10 amps.

Amp-FibianAmp-Fibian ™ have an Australian Standards approved portable adaptor to easily, safely and legally connect your RV 15 amp to any 10 amp domestic power supply.  The adaptor is made from industrial grade components, weather resistant and comes with a 10 metre lead. It also comes with a 12 month warranty.   

The Amp-Fibian uses a 10 amp domestic combination circuit breaker and a residual circuit device (RCD) which allows a safe amount of power to be drawn and trip it off if it becomes overloaded.

Flat Out Electrical Cord Reel

Surge Protectors/Safety Switches

From May 1993 new power outlets supplying caravans or similar accommodation in caravan parks are required to have safety switch protection.  Your caravan must be wired to Australian New Zealand Standards AS/NZS 3001.

What is the difference between a surge protector and a safety switch?

Surge protectors and safety switches play entirely different roles.  Surge protectors protect electrical appliances and safety switches protect people. 


circuit breakerSafety switches or Residual Current Device (RCD) provide a fast cut-off of power when electricity ‘leakage’ to earth is detected at a level which may be harmful to anyone using electrical equipment.

Safety switches are not the same as fuses or circuit breakers but rather an additional form of protection to be used with circuit breakers and fuses.  Safety switches monitor the flow of electricity and automatically shut off the electrical supply when current is detected leaking from faulty wiring, switches or electrical appliances. Portable safety switches are available.

Surge protectors safeguard your wiring and electrical appliances for voltage surges such as lightning strike.

What is a circuit breaker ?

Circuit breakers cut the power off when the wiring has too much electrical current flowing through it.  Circuit breakers and fuses do not provide personal protection against electrical shock.



Disclaimer   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   Site Map/Index   |   Links

This site was last updated

Copyright ©  Let's All rights reserved.